This is a great craft to precede with a nature walk. Let kids go outside and explore to collect items that can be made into their very own fossils! Once you get back from collecting items, talk about what you have found. You can also have children count the number of items they found, group them by category and even have them make patterns in their "fossils."
- 1 cup of salt
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 cup of luke warm water
- food coloring (optional)
- Combine flour and salt together.
- Add water and stir until a dough forms.
- Knead the dough for about 5 minutes until smooth.
- Roll dough out to desired thickness.
- Choose items like leaves, grass, acorns, pinecones, flowers or seeds to make your imprints.
- After making imprints, let your fossils air dry or bake at 200 degrees for 2-3 hours depending upon thickness of dough.